With summer break on the horizon, many families will be making plans for summer activities. Stillwater has a plethora of recreational opportunities, day camps, and programs to choose from. We have compiled this list of resources to help you get started making your summer plans. Do not wait to look into these programs, because space is limited for many and registration closes quickly.
Bookmark this post and check back often for updates as new information about additional programs and activities become available. Additionally, we always encourage our readers to visit VisitStillwater.org’s calendar of events for exhibits, live music, theatrical performances, sports, and other great events happening around the community each week because there’s always something to do in Stillwater!
Editor’s Note: While we attempted to confirm the following information with each organization to the best of our ability, our readers are advised that they should always double check dates, times, fees, and other details with each organization as information could have been changed or there may have been other miscommunication despite the best of intentions.
Camps for Fun and Learning
Stillwater Summer School
Stillwater Public Schools offers courses in reading, math, and more. While not a “day camp” this is a good opportunity to give your child the extra help they need to set them up for academic success in the next school year. Visit Stillwater Schools for a full description of the classes, dates, times, locations, and costs.
Meridian Technology Center Day Camps
Summertime is fun time at Tech. From computers to construction, Meridian has a summer camp that’s just for you! June 5-7, 2018 | 8:30 am – 3 pm | Campers entering 7th – 9th grades | All camps run concurrently. Visit Meridian Technology for more information.
Oklahoma State University Camps
OSU offers camps that challenge students intellectually and physically. OSU’s camps are geared towards a wide variety of age groups and interests. From academics, music, and arts to agriculture and athletics, visit the website here to view a continually updated PDF with a full list of available OSU camps.
Bliss Books & Bindery Presents Magic Tree House Passport to Adventure Summer Camp
Magic Tree House: Passport to Adventure Summer Camp Edition will be hosted inside Bliss Books all through the month of June. Each week, they will have a themed 90 minute camp session and 60 minute reading for kids. Camp will consist of fun crafts and games. Campers will have a chance to win a free magic tree house book each week! Sign up in store! (P.S. Tell them Stillwater Living Magazine sent you!)
- June 4 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- June 6 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- June 11 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- June 13 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- June 18 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- June 20 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- June 25 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- June 27 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.
How Stuff Works Camp at Sunnybrook Christian Church
Junior High Kick Off OKC Road Trip, July 1, 4-10 p.m.: 6th-8th graders will drive to OKC for dinner and a fun activity. $20
Camp Class Days: Monday, July 2 – 12:30-5 p.m. & Tuesday, July 3 – 12:30-3 p.m.
This camp is to teach your students how stuff works, God’s view of work and how to use your God given gifts. Camp days are for students who will be going into 4th-8th grade this fall.
Pick your top 3 options, we will give option priority to older students when assigning you to your How Stuff Works group. We will do our best to see that everyone makes it into a class on their list! $25
- How Cooking Works: If you love to get messy and eat this is the team for you!
- How Preaching/Public Speaking Works: Are you no stranger to the stage or want to learn how to speak in front of a crowd with confidence? This is the class for you!
- How Hunting Works: Enjoy spending time in the woods with animals? Come learn the basics of hunting.
- How Pinterest Works: If you are crafty…this is where you want to be. We will be surrounded by glue, paint brushes, paper, and well, you get the idea!
- How Soccer Works: If you have lots of energy to burn this is the team for you. We will be learning and practicing all the right moves!
- How to Make a Video: Do you enjoy telling stories and videography? Together we will be documenting “How Stuff Works Camp” and assembling a highlight video to share with everyone!
- How Leather Making Works: Do you enjoy working with your hands? We will learn together about leather making.
- How Branding & Logos Work: If you have a creative side, this is where you want to be! Come make art with us.
- How Sewing Works: Learn the basics of sewing and make something fun with your new skill!
Oklahoma WONDERtorium Summer WONDER Camps
- Engineering 101 at the OSU Botanic Garden, June 26-28, July 10-12, 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Participants must be 9 years old by June 1, 2018 or have completed 3rd grade.
- Art of Discovery Camp award-winning art teacher, Crista McCann at the WONDERtorium, June 26-29, July 24-26, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
Visit the website here for pricing, how to register, and additional programs throughout the summer. Remember you can save on your camp registration by becoming a member or purchasing a Summer WONDER Pass. Call 405-533-3333 or stop by the front desk to get your pass today.
Lake McMurtry Outdoor Adventure Camp
June 4 through June 29, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Ages 7 to 12. $150 per week. Designed to foster environmental stewardship, at Lake McMurtry Outdoor Adventure Camp. All camp sessions are designed by professional educators and are perfect for the young and curious. Camp is entirely outdoors and consists of a wide variety of activities. Each day at camp will be an outdoor adventure filled with numerous opportunities for hands on learning. Visit the website here for additional details and how to signup.
Stillwater Cub Scout Day Camp: Passport to Science Adventure
Stillwater Cub Camp will be May 29 – June 1, 7:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. at Camp Sylvia Stapley. It’s a great way to let boys see what scouting is all about. Contact Whitney McAllister at 918-510-5801 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Flier can be found here.
Sylvia Stapley Day Camp (Girl Scouts)
2018 Day camp for Stillwater Girl Scouts takes place on Monday, June 11 9 a.m. through Friday June 15 3 p.m. Whether you are a newcomer or a lifelong camper, Day Camp is for you. No registrations will be taken after May 11, 2018. Visit the website for details here!
Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory Junior Chocolatier Workshop Series
Calling all Junior Chocolatiers ages 6-12! Registration has begun for June and July workshops. Workshops are from 9:30 p.m. to 12 p.m., Monday through Wednesday. $120 per participant per 3-day session. Each participant will make and take home fudge and gourmet caramel apples and chocolate dipped treats and barks. Visit Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory at 714 S. Main St. or call 405-533-2977 to reserve your spot before they fill up!
Prairie Arts Center Summer Art Studios
- Summer Art Studios – Frida Kahlo – June 19-22 and June 26-29. Journey through the vibrant and colorful life of Frida Kahlo. 2D and 3D options available. Ages 6-8 and Ages 9-12. Visit the website for more information.
- Summer Art Studios – Jeff Koons – July 10-13 and July 17-20. Reflect on the gleaming and shiny public artworks of Jeff Koons. 2D and 3D options available. Ages 6-8 and Ages 9-12. Visit the website for more information.
- Summer Art Studios – Wayne Thiebaud – June 5-8 and June 12 -15. Dive into the whimsical world of Wayne Thiebaud! 2D and 3D options available. Ages 6-8 and Ages 9-12. Visit the website for more information.
Additional art classes for all ages can be found on the Prairie Arts Center website to view additional classes for all ages or Visit the center at 1001 S. Duck St., call 405-744-1535, or email email@example.com
StillyArts Summer Camp
Art. Dance. Drama. May 28 through August 10 for ages 5 to 12. Choose one week or multiple weeks. Each week activities will vary.
- Full week: 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. $99 (sign up before May 15) $120 (sign up after May 15).
- Full Week: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. $149 (sign up before May 15) $179 (sign up after May 15).
- Single Day sign ups available for $45 per day.
- 10% off for current StillyArts students and students enrolling in 3 or more weeks of camp.
Visit this website or stop by StillyArts at 1207 S. Main St. or call 405-547-0401 for more information.
Thriller Dance Studio Summer 2018
Thriller Dance Studio offers a variety of dance camps for wide range of ages and in several different themes throughout the summer. Contact Kirby Payne at 405-612-8237 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Missoula Children’s Theatre (FREE!)
This year’s production is Gulliver’s Travels! July 23-July 28th. Auditions are Monday, July 23 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Stillwater Community Center. Rehearsals will begin immediately following the auditions for some of the older cast members. Cast members need to be available throughout the week. Performances are on Saturday July 28th. For more information call 405-533-8433 or email Beth Furnish at MCTStillwater@gmail.com
Stillwater Children’s Theatre
- Spongebob Squarepants Musical Boot Camp
In this week long camp, students will jump into the town of Bikini Bottom as they learn character development and performance skills. Students will work together to create and costume their characters and learn choreographed dance numbers from the musical, culminating in a mini-performance on Friday.
Camp Dates: June 4 – June 8, 2018, 9 am – noon. Tuition: $125.
- A Very Troll’s Dance Party – THE MUSICAL
Students will love performing this new and original mini-musical at the end of the week. Be prepared to dance and sing along!
Camp Dates: June 11 – June 15, 2018, 9 am – noon. Tuition: $125.
- Dorothy and The Wizard of Oz — THE MUSICAL
In this one week camp, students will rehearse and perform a fully staged production of this well-beloved and classic family favorite, featuring all your favorite songs from the movie.
Camp Dates: June 25 – June 29, 9 am – 3 pm. Tuition: $250.
- More details to follow! Please contact Amy at 405-612-3770 or email email@example.com for enrollment information and questions. Come join the FUN!
- Follow Stillwater Children’s Theatre on Facebook here.
Tinkergarten classes are held outdoors where children learn through play. An adult is required to attend with the enrolled child. Summer session will meet once a week and runs for six weeks. $105. Trained leaders facilitate lessons that follow an early childhood development curriculum for ages 18 months to 8 years. Visit Tinkergarten.com to learn more about Stillwater Tinkergarten class availability.
OSU Athletic Camps
OSU Campus provide a balanced learning environment that is challenging and fun. Athletic camps offered include:
- Cheer and Pom
- Mike Gundy Cowboy Football
- OSU Soccer
- Mike Boynton Men’s Basketball
- Jim Littell Women’s Basketball
- John Smith’s Wrestling Camps
- Josh Holliday Baseball School
- Oklahoma State Softball Camps
- Equestrian Camps
- OSU Tennis Camps
- OSU Golf Camp
For all OSU Summer Athletic Camp information visit: http://okstate.com/sports/2015/3/17/GEN_2014010196.aspx.
Stillwater Pioneer Athletic Camps
Athletic camps for a variety of sports including softball, football, and basketball are available. Click the links to view flyers or visit stillwaterschools.com/Departments/Athletics.
- Stillwater Pioneer Boys Basketball Camp May 29-June 1, SHS Gyms, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday, ages 6-17.
- Lady Pioneer All-Star Basketball Camp June 4-7, SHS Gym, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. for 4th-10th graders, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. for 2nd-3rd graders.
- Stillwater High School Lady Pioneer Softball Camp May 29-31, Little Couch Park (12th & Alcott). Session I for K-4th grade 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. Session II for 5th-8th grade 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- stillwaterschools.com/Departments/Athletics for Pioneer Performance Football Camps for 7-8th grade and 9-12th grades.
Stillwater Rebels Baseball Camp
Free baseball camp June 4-9, 2018, 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Saturday, June 9 will be full of competitive activities and awards! Spots are limited. Sign up at Signup Genius here.
Youth Fitness Zone Summer Camps
YFZ offers highly active days all throughout the summer, with each week dedicated to a fun-filled theme starting on June 4 and running through the end of July. Sign up for one or multiple weeks. All camps are Monday through Friday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Visit Youth Fitness Zone online at youthfitnesszone.com for more information. Call 405-533-4033 with questions.
Fitness and Fun Summer Camp at Stillwater Martial Arts
This program includes free transportation from the facility to the park, fun sports activities, outdoor activities, life skills development, tumbling. and martial arts classes. You can enroll for the whole summer or take it a week at a time. Enrollment fills up fast, so call 405-372-5425 to sign up soon. Visit stillwatersummercamp.com for additional information.
Stillwater YMCA Day Camp
Day camp returns to the Stillwater Family YMCA this summer from Monday-Friday, May 30-Aug. 10. 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. (all children must be checked in by 9:30 a.m.). This camp is for ages 5-12. Call 405-372-5833 or visit the Stillwater YMCA at 204 S. Duck for enrollment details. View the flyer here.
Places to Go, Things to Do!
Free Meals for Kids! Summer Food Service Program
May 31 through July 27 (closed July 4). No cost or enrollment. Open to all children under 18 years old. For more information call 405-533-6445.
- Will Rogers Elementary School 1211 North Washington
- Breakfast 7:30-8:30am
- Lunch 11:30am-1pm
- Southern Woods Park at the corner of 12th and Hester Street (Splash Pad)
- Monday-Friday (Open July 4)
- Lunch 11am-11:30am
- Boomer Lake Park Pavilions near the Splash Pad
- Monday-Friday (Open July 4)
- Lunch 1pm-1:30pm
- Whispering Hills Apartments
- Lunch 12pm-12:30pm
- Cimarron Townhomes June 4-July 26
- Lunch 12pm-12:30pm
Summer at the Stillwater Public Library!
The Children’s reading program encourages kids to read all summer long with a chance to win prizes and an award ceremony at the end of the summer. There are live performances on Tuesday of each week and family-friendly movies on Thursdays. The library also has a program for teens with weekly programs offered on Wednesdays in June and July. Visit http://library.stillwater.org/ on May 1st, for more information and don’t forget to stop by the Library to register for these great programs. They are FREE and one of our favorite things about Summer in Stillwater each year! (Be sure to pick up a print copy of the May 2018 issue of Stillwater Living for a full list of the Library’s Summer events.)
Summer on the Plaza 2018
Summer on the Plaza at the OSU Student Union is a family event featuring live music and movie showings and much more. This event is held weekly on the last Thursday in May and every Thursday in June. All the outdoor fun, including live performing artists, water slides, food, and shopping begin at 6 p.m. with movies at 8pm.
Kids Bowl Free
If you don’t know about the Kids Bowl Free program you are missing out. Every summer you can register your kids (ages 15 and under) to receive 2 free games of bowling every day all summer long for a value of $500 per child! Frontier Lanes participates in this program. Bowling shoes are required so if you don’t have your own, you would need to rent your shoes from the Bowling Alley. You can also sign up for the family package to add up to four adults (or older siblings) for a flat fee all summer long. If you go bowling 3 or 4 times all summer it pays for itself!
Municipal Swimming Pool
Located in Couch Park, the Municipal Pool opens for the summer season in late May and closes early August. The facility, with its 400,000-gallon pool, features six 50-meter lanes, two slides, a separate, gated wading pool for younger children and concession with a shaded seating area.
The YMCA of Greater Oklahoma will manage the Municipal Pool for the summer of 2018. The YMCA will be responsible for schedule and hours of operation, rates and rentals, and the Learn to Swim Program.
YMCA Contact Information
- Phone: 405.372.5833
- Office Location: 204 S. Duck St.
- Email: Lakyn Dyson, LDyson@ymcaokc.org
- Web: www.ymcaokc.org/locations/stillwater
City of Stillwater Tennis Lessons
Events and Recreation is proud to offer its Tennis Lesson Program, which is designed for beginner and advanced beginner players. Information regarding the Tennis lesson program can be found at Stillwater.org. Or call 405-747-8070.
The Boomer Lake and Southern Woods splash pads opened for the season on Friday, May 18, 2018. Both splash pads are open daily from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., but hours may vary depending on the weather. The splash pads are free and open to the public.
Colvin Center Swim Lessons
The Colvin Center also offers swim lessons. Register at Colvin or Seretean Wellness Center. For questions call 405-744-5510. Visit the website for more information here.
The Botanic Garden at OSU
The Botanic Garden at OSU offers a variety of free programs and activities throughout the year. Contact Laura Payne for more information. Learn more about The Botanic Garden and view the full Calendar of Events here. This summer events include:
- Yoga in the Garden on Wednesdays during the spring April 25-May 23, 5:45 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Open House and Train Garden, May 5, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Train garden open: 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., weather permitting.)
- TBG Kids May Day Festival, May 5, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.. Bring the kids out to help kick off a new season of fun in the garden. Activities include a May Pole Dance, face painting, bird nesting pine cones, and seed containers. Free of charge, no preregistration needed.
- Concert in the Garden–Steelwind, May 18, 5:45 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Bring a lawn chair or blanket!
- Open House and the Train Garden, May 19, 9 a.m. to 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- TBG Kids, May 19, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Miniature Gardens! Cost is $5 per child, space is limited to 20 kids so you must preregister.
- Concert in the Garden–MoeTowne Alex and The Nightview Band, June 1, 5:45 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Bring a lawn chair or blanket!
- Open House and the Train Garden, June 2, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Train garden open: 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., weather permitting.)
- TBG Kids, June 2, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Safari in the garden, making paper safari hats, and journals. Cost is $5 per child, space is limited to 20 kids so you must preregister.
- Open House and the Train Garden, June 16, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Train garden open: 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., weather permitting.)
- TBG Kids, June 16, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Make a clay pot bird feeder/water container. Cost is $5 per child, space is limited to 20 kids so you must preregister.
- Herb and Succulent Festival, June 23, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Various vendors will be on hand selling soaps, plants, cacti, succulents and herbs as well as the Good Little Eater Food Truck!
- 9:00 – 9:45 AM Building a Vertical Herb Garden with Casey Hentges, OKG Host
- 10:00 – 10:45 AM Brewing Teas from Herbs with Jacqui Savage
- 11:00 – 11:45 AM TBA, Central Oklahoma Cactus and Succulent Society
- 10:30 – 12:00 PM Music provided by the Misspent Ukes
- Open House and the Train Garden, July 7, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Train garden open: 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., weather permitting.)
- Open House and the Train Garden, July 21, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Train garden open: 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., weather permitting.)
- Open House and the Train Garden, August 4, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Train garden open: 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., weather permitting.)
- Open House and the Train Garden, August 18, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Train garden open: 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., weather permitting.)
Visit the Oklahoma Cooperative Extension’s live bug petting zoo–the only one of its kind in the state! Open hours are held on the first and 3rd Saturday of the month from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Fee: $3 per person. Visit insectadventure.okstate.edu for more information.
Lost Creek Safari
This USDA certified exotic animal park has been open for four seasons now. Located south of Stillwater, Lost Creek Safari is open on weekends from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. and all other days by reservation. Admission is $5 and an additional $5 to feed the animals. Visit lostcreeksafari.com or call 405-707-0403 for more info.
Stillwater History Museum at the Sheerar
Go inside where its cool to learn about Stillwater’s rich history! The Stillwater History Museum at the Sheerar has hands on activities for kids of all ages as well as a monthly children’s series on the second Saturday of each month with the next program set for May 12, 2 p.m. – 3 p.m. Museum hours are Tuesday-Friday 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Weekends 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Admission is free. Located at 702 S. Duncan St.
The Stillwater History Museum at the Sheerar also hosts a free summer concert series called Cool Classics on Friday at 7 p.m. in July (6th, 13th, 20th, 27th).
OSU Museum of Art
With regularly changing exhibits the OSU Museum of Art always has something interesting and fun to see. On the second Saturday of each month, the OSU Museum of Art also offers free hands-on art activities for visitors of all ages and abilities. Activities take place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Museum hours are Tuesday – Saturday 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Thursday 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Admission is free. Located at 720 S. Husband St.
Rent a Kayak!
Did you know you can rent kayaks from White Rock Paddle Company at Boomer Lake? How fun! Hours of operation are Friday through Sunday 10am to sunset. With advance notice, they can accommodate groups renting five or more boats/boards Monday through Thursday giving them a 10% discount. Call 405-762-0698 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for details!
Lake McMurtry also offers kayaking opportunities with single and double kayaks, as well as paddle boards at both the east and west recreation areas. Call ahead to check availability at 405-747-8085 (West Side) or 405-533-1831 (East Side). More details are available at LakeMcmurtry.com.
ATTEND BIBLE SCHOOL
If you are looking for vacation bible school information, different churches offer VBS at different times throughout the summer. These programs rely on volunteers so we advise contacting your preferred church directly to determine whether or not there will be a VBS this summer. If you have information about a 2018 Bible School in Stillwater that we should list, please send it to ammie @ StillwaterLiving.com for inclusion.
Some possibilities to consider are:
Countryside Baptist Church VBS June 25 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Crosspointe Church TBA 2018 VBS Simon Peter’s Amazing Seashore Adventures May 30-June 2 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. with a celebration on June 3 at 6 p.m.
First United Methodist Church FUMC has two options this year with a week of day camp in June and VBS in July:
- Camp June 11-15 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. lunch and snack providied. $50 per child. Space is limited.
- 2018 VBS “Game ON!” July 15-19, evenings. Enrollment begins in June. This event is free.
Grace Presbyterian Church GraceKids VBS July 31, August 1, August 2 (Tues-Thurs) 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Southern Woods Park. Kids need to wear water resistant clothes or swim wear for splash pad fun and bring a towel. Registration on site begins at 9:30 a.m. each day. Free. Children entering Pre-K through 5th Grade. For questions email email@example.com
Lost Creek United Methodist Church 2018 VBS Shipwrecked! June 3-6, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Butterfly Girls Camp for young girls and their moms/female mentors. Saturday, August 18, 9 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Girls in KG through 5th grade and their moms or female mentors. Spend a day with grils and gals from all walks of life taking part in joy-building faith challenges, music, cheers, activities, crafts, and lots of fun! Lunch, snacks, dinner provided. Registration fee of $25 per person. Financial scholarships available. Oak Park Retreat Center, Perkins, OK. To Register and for more information visit BFlyGirls.com.
St. Francis Xavier Church 2018 VBS Surprise! June 11-14 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. $10 per child.
Stillwater Bible 2018 VBS Ship Wrecked! June 11-14, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., ages 4 yrs to 5th grade.
University Heights Baptist Church 2018 VBS Babylon, Daniel’s Courage in Captivity June 11-15, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.