International Bacon Day on August 29 is the perfect celebration for crispy pork lovers AND maple whisky. Along those lines, there is no more natural a pairing than TAP 357 Maple Rye Whisky ($29.99/750ml./81% proof). A premium small batch Canadian whisky that marries rye whiskies, which have been cask-aged for either 3, 5 or 7 years, with pure maple syrup tapped at the first hint of spring. The elegantly smooth spirit with a delicate sweetness is the perfect complement to the saltiness and fattiness of bacon.
Pro tip to best enjoy TAP 357 with bacon:
- Dip your bacon into your TAP 357.
- Take a sip of TAP 357.
- Eat the bacon.
- Drizzle a bit of TAP 357 into your maple syrup should pancakes or waffles be accompanying your bacon.
- Take another sip of TAP 357.
And if you want to amp up your bacon on International Bacon Day, try this recipe.
TAP 357 Whisky Bacon
- 12 strips bacon
- 1 cup TAP 357 Maple Rye Whisky
- 1 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pimente d’espelette
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix together TAP 357 with 1 cup of brown sugar and pimento d’espelette in a small saucepan over medium/high heat. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside
- Place each strip of bacon directly on a baking sheet, allowing a bit of space between strips. Brush the bacon with the whisky reduction and then sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar.
- Place bacon in the oven and cook for 20 minutes, checking after 10 minutes. Ovens vary, so you want to make sure they don’t burn.
- Take bacon out of the oven and allow to sit on a paper towel to cool/drain.
- Serve and enjoy!