Story and images provided by LaRitz Salon & Spa
As the winter clears and spring appears, colors begin changing from dark and subtle to bright and bold. This is true with hair color as well. Vibrant hair color is worn by a wide variety of individuals. It’s not just for the young and rebellious anymore. Celebrities like Katy Perry, Kate Hudson, and Kelly Osborne have all worn bold, fashion shades.
Redken has recently debuted their newest color line, City Beats. This is a collection of vibrant, conditioning color cream. Multiple manufacturers have introduced colors like City Beats. These colors allow you and your hair stylist creative freedom. Some clients choose to go all over bright, where some choose to add small pops of color to their otherwise, conservative hair color. A few beautiful color combinations for “natural” hair color are orchid purple with a copper gold base and teal peeking through a deep cool brown. When it comes to all over bold, the possibilities are endless!
If you have ever had a fashion shade on your hair, then you know the importance of the aftercare it takes to maintain the longevity of your new color. Here are a few tips for those who are new to these shades:
- You don’t need to shampoo every day. The more you shampoo, the quicker your color will fade. When you do shampoo, make sure to use cool water, versus hot. The hot water will swell your hair cuticle, allowing the color molecules to escape.
- Use salon professional shampoo. Drug store shampoos tend to have higher amounts of sulfates, parabens, and additives. Our favorite cleanser for keeping your color looking its best is Redken’s Genius Wash. Genius Wash is a cleansing conditioner that will provide your hair with the ideal amount of moisture while maintaining the vibrancy of your hair color.
- Be mindful of the heat you are using on your hair. Most everyone uses some sort of heat source when styling their hair. Redken offers multiple heat protecting products. Satinwear is a lightweight product to apply before blow drying. Iron Shape and Hot Sets are both amazing products with protection and hold to use when smoothing or curling.
There are a few facts that your stylist wants you to know before you decide to take the plunge into bold hair color.
- You will most likely have to pre-lighten your hair. Most of the lighter and brighter shades show up better when it’s applied over lightened pieces.
- These colors will not last forever. Don’t expect these shades to last as long as permanent hair color.
- High Maintenance color takes a lot of work. This will not be your typical every 6-week appointment. Most clients should return every 4 weeks if they want to keep this new look.
If you are ready for a fun new color, the stylists at LaRitz Salon & Spa would love to help you create your ideal color. Call 405-372-8223, visit 115 W McElroy, or log on to our Facebook page for more information!