The National PTA Reflections® program is a nation-wide fine arts competition open to students from pre-K to 12th grade, and encourages students to create and submit original works in several major arts categories including: visual arts, photography, literature, film production, dance choreography, and music composition.
One hundred and forty-five Stillwater Public School students participated in the 2017-2018 competition. The theme for the year was “Within Reach.” Forty-five students advanced to the state competition after judging held this past December. Ten SPS students were officially named Oklahoma State Winners; their works advanced to the national round for review last month. The following students were recognized as state level winners:
- Visual Arts: Anya Jee (Pre-K, Westwood Elementary), Cayden Brandes (2nd grade, Will Rogers Elementary)
- Dance Choreography: Kate Carpenter (11th grade, Stillwater High School)
- Music Composition: Cassidy McCann (11th grade, Stillwater High School)
- Literature: Isabelle Ippoliti (Kindergarten, Westwood Elementary), Abhimanyu Sukhdial (4th grade, Westwood Elementary), Natalya Cecil-Xavier (8th grade, Stillwater Junior High School) and Micah Damon (12th grade, Stillwater High School)
- Film Production: Noah Taylor (3rd grade, Skyline Elementary), Suchita Madihally (7th grade, Stillwater Middle School)
Noah Taylor, a 3rd grader from Skyline Elementary has been recognized as a National winner, having received this week the National Award of Merit (Film Production, Intermediate Division) for his original, computer-animation video, “Within Reach: The Adventures of Education Stickbot.” Noah was the only Oklahoma student to be recognized at the national level, an outstanding honor for the Stillwater Public Schools.
The 2018-2019 theme for the Reflections program is “Heroes around Me”; the program will formally kick off in early September, with entries due by October end. Contact your school Reflections Chair for further details.