Story and images provided by Nook & Cranny Mercantile
What goes around, comes around. Vintage, shabby chic, industrial, there is a trend sweeping through home décor, called upcycling. Upcycling gives used goods another chance–reinventing them for another purpose. Recycling means breaking something down, upcycling means adding value to a used object.
Upcycling is not a new concept. Throughout history to the present day, upcycling has been a part of life. You don’t have to look far and wide to find items that can be upcycled. They may be as close as your own home. In the 1930s and 40s women repurposed feed sacks into clothing for the family, turned calendars into puzzles, and hand-carved wooden toys for Christmas .
Upcycling is what the owners of Nook and Cranny Mercantile love to do.
Located at 10th & Main in downtown Stillwater, you will find a shop full of upcycled items. Items could be anything from an old cart made into shelves, an old falling apart chair turned into a planter, or vintage signs Joanna Gaines herself would approve of. Other items you may find are upcycled handbags, Snappy Chicks jewelry, LipSense, hand-painted signs, barn wood décor and furniture, goat milk soap and body butter, and many other gift items.
Nook & Cranny offers Heirloom Traditions and Vintiques chalk-type paint and finishes as well as transfers, stencils, and Efex, a bendable latex molding product and decoupage medium and paint classes. We can show you how to achieve that high-end look for low prices and add flair and style to your work.
Ten things you need to know about Nook and Cranny Mercantile:
- God is in the details.
- Our goal is to provide excellent customer service.
- Some of the merchandise here is locally made.
- The merchandise mix is constantly evolving.
- This is definitely a team effort.
- We thrive on taking pieces that other people may consider trash and turning them into treasures with paint and elbow grease.
- We are fulfilling a dream.
- We aim to have people come in as customers and leave as friends.
- The shop’s emphasis is on home-design accent and gift items.
- This is just the beginning…
Come in today and let us help you turn castoffs into gold and decorate your home on a budget.