The AARP Tax Aides will begin their free tax preparation help on Feb. 6 and will provide help through April 18. The service is available at the Stillwater Public Library on Mondays, 9:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.; Tuesdays, 1-6:30 p.m.; and Wednesdays, 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m. The service will not be held at the Senior Center this year.
“We’re very excited to provide evening hours for the first time in the program,” said Saundra Mace, AARP Tax Aide coordinator. “We hope these hours will be useful for daytime workers, and if enough taxpayers attend in the evening, we will consider offering evening hours in the future.”
Taxpayers should bring the following documents with them for AARP Tax Aide help:
- A copy of TY 2015 Federal and State income tax returns.
- Social Security Cards for the taxpayer, spouse, and dependents.
- Photo identification such as a driver’s license.
- All forms indicating federal income tax paid
- All 1099 forms of any kind (1099-MISC, INT, DIV, B, R)
- All wage and earning statements (Forms W-2, W-2G)
- Unemployment compensation statements
- Bank Routing Numbers and Account Numbers for Direct Deposit.
- Total amount paid for Day Care and Provider’s identifying number and statement.
- All receipts and canceled checks if itemizing deductions
- Forms related to health care insurance
For a more extensive list of documents to bring, visit http://library.stillwater.org/taxes.php.
The taxpayer must be present at the Tax-Aide site to receive assistance. If filing “Married Filing Jointly,” both spouses are required to sign the tax returns before filing.
While tax assistance is expanding, the availability of hardcopy tax forms at the library continues to shrink. This season, the library will have the forms and instruction booklets for 1040, 1040A and 1040EZ. Schedules and other popular forms are available online and can be printed at the library for 10 cents a page.
In addition, the IRS will no longer send employment related forms to the library, including the W-2, 1099 MISC and 1096. Because the IRS does not accept versions of these forms printed online, employers will need to contact the IRS at 1-800-829-3676 to order copies.
The library does expect to receive copies of the Oklahoma 511 packet and the Oklahoma 511 Non-Resident packet. Those items should be shipping within the next week.
Tax forms and AARP preparation services are free and open to the public on a first come, first served basis. No appointment is needed.
The Stillwater Public Library is located at 1107 South Duck.