Story provided by Stillwater Public Schools
Each year as part of the process of selecting the Stillwater Public Schools Teacher of the Year, the district recognizes educators across Stillwater for their exceptional work. This week, eleven SPS teachers discovered they’d been named their school site Teacher of the Year:
- Highland Park Elementary- Abby Varnum – Special Services
- Richmond Elementary – Mechelle Helmberger – Kindergarten
- Sangre Ridge Elementary – Rachel Wilson – Second Grade
- Skyline Elementary – Jacob Culpepper – Physical Education
- Westwood Elementary – Marie Sanders – Music
- Will Rogers Elementary – Rayna Zimmerman – Instructional Coach
- Middle School – Chloe Andrews – English Language Arts
- Junior High – Aleshia Graham – English Language Arts
- High School – Larry Hesler – Mathematics
- Stillwater Pioneer Virtual Academy – Clarence Holley – Virtual Secondary
- Lincoln Academy – Carla Harnly – Family and Consumer Sciences
“This group is another fantastic example of the wonderful, quality teachers we have at SPS,” says Superintendent Uwe Gordon. “The process of selecting finalists and ultimately a district Teacher of the Year is challenging because of just how amazing these educators are. I’m very glad I don’t have to make that decision!” he says, adding that a vote of teachers across the district leads to the final decision.
In March, a group of their peers will select three candidates from the group of eleven, who will discover their finalist status by a surprise visit from their principal and the superintendent. These finalists will submit a detailed portfolio for review, and then their peers will determine the district Teacher of the Year. The district winner will be announced in April and have the opportunity to compete against teachers from across the state for Oklahoma Teacher of the Year.