Recipe by Jose Cervantes, Edited by Ammie Bryant, Photographed by Jefferson Bryant
Everyone needs a good meal to start the day right and potatoes can be a great addition to a healthy breakfast. Did you know that potato skin is a great source of fiber, vitamins B and C, iron, calcium, and potassium? Combined with egg, Mexican cheese blend, avocado, Badia seasoning, fresh cracked pepper, and your favorite salsa on whole wheat flour tortillas, and you have a tasty, healthy breakfast to get your morning started right.
But aren’t eggs supposed to be bad for you? Not according to Health Educator Liza Barnes. In a story on Sparkpeople.com, Barnes explains that researchers reported in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition that “egg consumers had a higher intake of important nutrients like vitamins B12, A, E, and C than non-egg eaters, and that people who reported eating four or more eggs per week actually had significantly lower average cholesterol levels than those who reported eating zero to one eggs per week.” Furthermore, eggs are an excellent source of high-quality protein providing all nine of the body’s essential amino acids. Eggs are also great for brain health, play an important role in reducing inflammation, and help protect eyesight! Consuming eggs in moderation (one a day) can be a great addition to a healthy lifestyle.
Preparation Time: 20 min.
- 2 medium potatoes, diced, skin on
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 6 whole wheat taco size tortillas
- 1 cup of finely grated Mexican blend cheese (use 2% skim or fat-free to make recipe even healthier)
- Badia Complete Seasoning
- Fresh cracked pepper
Additional optional ingredients
- Avocado, sliced
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
- Wash and then dice skin-on potato.
- Brown the diced potato in a skillet on medium heat with a teaspoon of olive oil until tender.
- Whisk eggs in bowl and add to browned potatoes.
- Season with Badia and/or fresh cracked pepper to your taste.
- Reduce heat and stir frequently until eggs are cooked.
- Lightly oil and heat up a flat iron or grill on medium for tortilla prep.
- Place tortillas on surface and warm up each side without burning.
- Divide cooked potatoes and eggs onto 5-6 tortillas.
- Add shredded cheese and your favorite toppings such as sliced avocado, jalapeños, sour cream, hot sauce or salsa. Make it your way.
- Fold and enjoy!
Healthier cooking with Jose
Stillwater resident Jose Cervantes has been a food enthusiast and entrepreneur most of his life. Growing up in his family’s restaurant as well as cooking alongside family members have made preparing a great meal shared with others very fulfilling. His emphasis includes using more fresh vegetables and ingredients, presenting ways to reduce sodium through use of herbs and spices, and showing how easy it is to get into the kitchen more with a little effort for cost and health benefits in the long run.